India: scientific approach to a mystery

I am already at home in Russia, yet there is so much more to write about India. I'll continue posting here, so keep an eye on this blog. I set up my old-and-new blog about Russia HERE - you may also check out that one now and then. Also, slowly but surely I am uploading the pics from the travels on which I haven't posted yet at the upgraded (hurra!) Yahoo.

Name:
Location: Russia

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Vishnu leaving

Vishnu was away traveling to his home place in Andhra Pradesh for some time. Once back he told me we should meet the next day as his mamaji (uncle, the one I met at Neelima’s wedding) from Chennai is coming down to Delhi. I asked Vishnu about his flight (as if when) but he would never reply. Vishnu was studying and now working in the UK: he came down to India for his sister’s wedding and I was so happy he could stay one month longer. So, the next day he picked me up and brought to the place where the others were waiting. Only then he told me the flight was the night after. Bah!!!…… However, it was a very cozy night with the dear people who had shared some great moments together.. He promised to be back in January 2007 and I’ve got something to look forward to.

I got to know Vishnu when Anoop and Nivanthee invited me to join them and a bunch of their friends for a movie. Since that Rang De Basanti has become a point of reference for our friendship. At the same occasion I got invitation to Neelima’s wedding and that is how I got to spend some time with the whole family of Vishnu and Neelima.

Favorite and a true pride of the whole family (especially it’s female part) he knows he is granted an unlimited credit for making whatever pranks. The most prominent one he made with me was….. We were talking about birthdays and I (now I think I did) I mentioned that mine is on the 10th of April. He exclaimed, “No, I cannot believe it”. “What?” I asked. He said, “My birthday is on the 10th of April”. It was my turn to say, “No, I cannot believe it”. Nivanthee confirmed with nodding. I got so hilarious as I never in my live I met anyone born on the same date. On the way back to Delhi I brought up the issue with Nivanthee and she told me, “Olga, listen. On the first place, his birthday is on the 12th of August. This is just Vishnu, the way he is”. Seriously disappointed I later got back to him so to ask why… He replied that at least thanks to the prank I would not forget him. No, Vishnu, I would not ;o) I remember how at the wedding I asked him where I could get gift paper to pack my present for Neelima. He promised to get it for me. Day by day the last night of the wedding came and I was still inquiring… We all were outside seeing off some people; he was roaming around in the shirts. I was so pissed off with him being so irresponsible as I really needed to warp my present and there was no way to get the paper from elsewhere at that late hour. Why would anyone promise something he does not have to offer?!!! All of a sudden we took the gift paper from the trunk of the car and said naughty on purpose, “Olga, come and take it”’. Still pissed, but relived I told Neelima and Girija-ji (their mother), “What a son and brother you’ve got”. And Girija-ji just blandly smiled looking at him and said with affection “Naughty boy”. At that time I realized Vishnu is hopeless ;o) He knows he is admired and what would you do with a guy who knows that whatever he is doing he is loved and accepted.

Yet, there is a difference between being in family settings and being with friends, or just people. I remember how astonished I was when he quickly got along with my flat mates and then the friends we were parting the whole night with. Very humble and respectful, very interested in people, the one who would go for miles for you but would not let you even raise your finger. He was the one to take care of pictures at whatever occasions we had. “Olga, have you taken your camera?” was his question whenever we would meet. And if my answer was “no” his camera-phone was there to take the snaps. This way I got amazing pictures of me – something I almost gave up about here ;o) He is the one who made me believe in Athithi Devo Bhava. Yes, his “oh my God!” pronounced with deliberately British ascent, “I love attention” T-shirt with a funny yellow duck, the purposeful naughty looks we would exchange once in a while and his little pranks are still there. However, now I can tell why he gets the credit to do this. In fact, this credit he is getting from me too…

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Olgaaaaaaa what was that Oh my God can't beleive this :):) Thanks a ton for making me to remember all the days we spent together. Thank you so much :P guess what i still have your sweet gift u gave me when i was leaving to UK the russian girl ;) i think there is special name for it i forgot :( letme know :) Thanks ans keep in touch !!! now let me let know when u are coming to UK :X???

luv
Vishnu

7:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home