India: scientific approach to a mystery

I am already at home in Russia, yet there is so much more to write about India. I'll continue posting here, so keep an eye on this blog. I set up my old-and-new blog about Russia HERE - you may also check out that one now and then. Also, slowly but surely I am uploading the pics from the travels on which I haven't posted yet at the upgraded (hurra!) Yahoo.

Name:
Location: Russia

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

South-Indian dinner

Last weekend Rahul, Juan-Mi and me went for a dinner. To a south-Indian restaurant at my request…. And this was first time in my life (here in India too) when I got this kind of treatment. Usually at places like that (quite a decent place restaurant it was) you are very respectfully received. Hello, mam and bows and this and that…… This time the division of roles was as follows: Rahul was a considerate host, constantly requesting for stuff to be arranged for the dear guests (water, food, tissues, extra food). Juan-Mi was a hungry guest, male one… Me was… beautiful (I remember once Polina told me how Klaus was assessing roles of the group members in the project management class ((NHH): you are this and you are this…and Polina is beautiful…. However well I know Klaus with his double tricks this was a nice way to say, “your presence does not make any difference dear…”). So that is how I felt that night – beautiful. The waiter would first serve Rahul, then Juan-Mi and then – me. The story repeated with menues, water (refill I did not get at all), and water for washing hands…. Amazing Rahul was passing the stuff he got to me, so I did not feel completely awful… But otherwise I was frustrated to be treated like next to nothing. Even the food which was quiet good did not give me this fulfilment I usually get.

Actually, it seems there is a whole huge difference in the way a foreign girl treated when out with other foreigners or when with Indian guys. In the first case you are most likely God as Delhi Tourist Board proclaims. In the latter – most likely a girl with relaxed moral principles. He would be the man to talk to, you’d be non-existent because woman and because foreign=fallen one. I notice this extra-wondering looks whenever I am out with any of my male Indian friends. I notice the way people look at those western girlfriends of Indian guys – she’s been easy for him, she is in general - oh, God, please, save me from those!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home