India: scientific approach to a mystery

I am already at home in Russia, yet there is so much more to write about India. I'll continue posting here, so keep an eye on this blog. I set up my old-and-new blog about Russia HERE - you may also check out that one now and then. Also, slowly but surely I am uploading the pics from the travels on which I haven't posted yet at the upgraded (hurra!) Yahoo.

Name:
Location: Russia

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Rang De Basanti: Bollywood rocks!

Rang De Basanty (Director - Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra)
http://www.rangdebasanti.net/

Spectacular, involving and appealing! Songs are really great and some scenes are just magnificent. The movie nicely captures many of those features I’ve got to know and fell in love with about this incredible country.

· Amazing combination of traditional and Western style in girl’s clothing (Sonia (beautiful Soha Khan) wears a classy white shirt with her sari).
· Western-style hanging out with thali at mother’s house after a sleepless night
· Guys with masculinity that bursts and amazing brotherhood among males
· Easy-going life attitude yet willingness to fight for your ideals and friends
· Recognizable pop-beats interwoven with traditional Indian rhythms and obligatory Indian-style dancing.

I heard, though, that this movie appears to be a breakthrough for the Indian movie industry as once in a while (1) the love story is not the major threat of the plot, (2) the realities that the young generation is exposed to are shown, (3) it’s a good Indian movie and not a copy of some Hollywood blockbuster (believe or not, but what they often do here is that they take Hollywood movie and copy it scene by scene – this way lots of national masterpieces were launched).

Some say, Indian movies are always exaggerating. Everything is brought to the edge and, therefore, looks like an ultimate fairytale. I strongly disagree. These are not the movies, this is life at the edge and people for whom small things might be a big deal or the universe-wide grief – just not-worth-a-tear matter.

I mean, obviously, it is an exaggeration that a British girl who comes to India hir first time speaks almost perfect Hindi. Well… her dad was on service here and she was doing some investigations about this country back in UK, but hei… This girl is blondy blonde… blue-eyes are there… and bare shoulders – almost in all the cases… Could she seem a typical unaware tourist in this country if not her answer to this question (who’s been to India would get it) – “Mam, which country?” “India, I hope”, - she said.

Understanding Hindi

is easy-going!… I wonder why though… On the first place, Hinglish is Hinglish: some English words are always there (10%), so you are never left completely clueless. But also Hindu communication culture is so expressive that it is by non-verbal language you can guess a lot. This is not all, though.. I guess I’ve been exposed to foreign languages quite a lot – the situations when I was to spend some hours with people who would keep speaking their own languages were not unfrequented. Without boasting I could say, I’ve learned to extract the essential information from the context, words with common Latin roots and non-verbal messages. I mean, for example, the movie was very self-explanatory to me but, obviously, some monologues. It is also at the lunch that my colleagues would speak Hinglish and then start translating for me… and I would realize I got it all even before - but some small details, of course…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home