India: scientific approach to a mystery

I am already at home in Russia, yet there is so much more to write about India. I'll continue posting here, so keep an eye on this blog. I set up my old-and-new blog about Russia HERE - you may also check out that one now and then. Also, slowly but surely I am uploading the pics from the travels on which I haven't posted yet at the upgraded (hurra!) Yahoo.

Name:
Location: Russia

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

People leaving...

In mid April she told me, “My friends back home expected me to come back in early April. It’s already 18th and I still haven’t told them I am coming later”. I got to know she is leaving on the 26th just 1,5 weeks before. Some of our friends got to know about 26th just some days in advance. She did not want to leave however well she knew she had to. She did not confirm the date for the return ticket until a week before she left….

Even her leaving did not feel like leaving at all…. People are just hanging out in Lajpat Nagar house as if for some other occasion or without any at all. Me and Roel were making pancakes (hoped Dutch-Russian fusion did not happen: after preliminary discussion of the recipe we figured out there are serious discrepancies in the way each of us views pancake-making process, so we decided to do it both ways, but separately – that’s what I love Western mentality for – freedom of ). . and releasing it one by one… served with banana, yogurt and chocolate sauce…. Anya tried to finish her packing – there are always those items either so unimportant or on the contrary so significant that it’s difficult to decide on their destiny… Anya was chatting with people, receiving calls, packing, having some bear – i.e. being herself the way she is…

Linda, who was leaving the same day showed up in an “India” T-shirt, jeans, high boots, alaska and sun-glasses and all of a sudden I recognized a trendy North-European girl she basically is…. Somehow here you really get used to see girls wearing bangles, sandals, long ear-rings, colorful skirts and ethnic tops…. And not any more…



Anya put on everything she could: alladine pants, Tibetan skirt, Indian kurta, 6-7 bracelets she had, couple of heavy necklaces… Her look only reinforced the phantasmagorian notion of the gathering…



Joking with ease, giving away hugs, promises to meet and invitations to visit Russia she was saying bye in her own way. did not feel sad at all as I was going to the airport with the girls, so the moment of departing seemed postponed. Once we loaded into Kanak’s car (best guy ever, decided to drop girls to the airport), Anya breathed out and pitifully said, “I don’t wanna leave”.. Holding hands, chatting and just keeping silent we did not notice how soon we reached… Even in the airport I did not get the feeling of the girls leaving for real…. Neither now I can be sure they did…..



However… all the way to the airport my thinking was revolving around one idea – I’m gonna be so miserable once my turn to leave comes… I am truly enjoying here… despite… Yep, despite 40 C by day, despite major water problems, despite sticky men at the streets, despite the unscrupulous rickshaw-drivers and fruit-vendors… But this is not only that… I am freaking out when I think of leaving because frankly speaking I do not have a place to be heading to.. Yet… To put it this way….. In 4 days it’s gonna be 4 months I’ve been here…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home