India: scientific approach to a mystery

I am already at home in Russia, yet there is so much more to write about India. I'll continue posting here, so keep an eye on this blog. I set up my old-and-new blog about Russia HERE - you may also check out that one now and then. Also, slowly but surely I am uploading the pics from the travels on which I haven't posted yet at the upgraded (hurra!) Yahoo.

Name:
Location: Russia

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Exploring my new neighbourhood

eventually took my time to explore around my new house. Already got some fragmented ideas of what the area is like and what places are there. But, no need to say, I always strive for the structured and hopefully documented understanding. So I took my camera… and… first do not even have to go out as our two great balconies can already give a great perspective on the surroundings. This is the backstreets you can see from my balcony



and these are the lanes you get to see from the balcony on the other side.



people living in the houses opposing ours are really in the immediate proximity: probably talking from balcony to balcony would be too much of a task, but watching your neighbours is still a highly possible opportunity.



however, time to get out of the flat – the sunny day is so inviting. but again, no need to go far as I can enjoy the sun on the roof terrace. It is a mixture of sacred place where tanks with water are stored (twice a day we can refill those with pushing the water button in our flat)



there you can hang your clothes to dry



or hang out yourself in the night (roof parties are so cool!) or just enjoy the notion of your house being higher than all the surrounding buildings.



No… no patience any more to stay here, let’s go out! To do so you would inevitably pass our gate.



The trick is you are to pass them when you go in too. And they close it late in the night and it’s not always I carry the key on me. So, couple of times I called up my flatmates and they were so kind to let me in, once I even made friends with the people living on the ground floor that way. Then once I climbed the gates – my friend-mountaineer Tribhuvan should be proud of me ;o) – he showed the pattern to follow ;o)

Here is our beautiful house from outside – neat and nice.



The other day when I was looking for a decent inet café I got a bit lost and found myself in a funny area. Decided to check it by day – a way more pleasant experience. Very narrow streets, unpaved roads and shops all over.



Still - traffic and people are there.



I don't mind the stares and take my time walking around and taking pictures of anything that amuses me. And those things are many.









it does not take long to make some friends...



one inquiry follows another: what is my name, where I am from, what I do in Delhi, where I stay in Delhi, where my parents are – typical set… Men (6-8) in a shop nearby try to piggyback the kid’s initiative – “Hello mam, come and sit” – but that really falls out of my intentions – therefore - bye, was nice to meet you, talk to you next time.

I see some Muslim men now and then (i.e. very few women). At times the crowd around gets pure male – many of them sitting in there shops clustering on the narrow streets…

Just a little bit further I find more spacious residential quarters with shady parks where people play games or rest or both.





Then the path brought me to a bigger road nearby my house that I regularly take – walking in circles definitely makes sense as that way you never get lost.





Once you get closer to the market the neighbourhood changes completely. Siesta-sort-of-relaxing-mood just hangs over the area: the sun is tiringly bright, very few people outside, freshly washed clothes hanging on the balconies – lazy weekend.







it gets more hectic once you get on the main road and the market itself.





I’m giving my saree for dry-cleaning, shop for some local-brand skin-care cosmetics, get a baby-size bottle of almond milk, pour it into my mouth without touching the neck of the bottle – and run home to get ready for furniture shopping.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this sounds like a perfect afternoon walk, i'd say;-)

7:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home