India: scientific approach to a mystery

I am already at home in Russia, yet there is so much more to write about India. I'll continue posting here, so keep an eye on this blog. I set up my old-and-new blog about Russia HERE - you may also check out that one now and then. Also, slowly but surely I am uploading the pics from the travels on which I haven't posted yet at the upgraded (hurra!) Yahoo.

Name:
Location: Russia

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Let's play Holi

The first rain in Delhi I have to face. A couple of showers in the nights before does not count as I was deeply sleeping and therefore could not get scared too much. So unexpected it was that I even do not have umbrella. Not going to wear nice waterproof clothes brought from Norway either – just some crappy gown and flip-flops – cannot risk that much today.

Today is Holi’s Eve. This is a carnival-sort-of-celebration when people go completely wild painting each other with colours, throwing eggs and balloons filled with water. That day people would wear old clothes (some would buy new one, preferable white), put coconut oil on the hair and baby lotion on the whole body, would not carry anything on them – to be fully disarmed so to say, yet prepared and would just play – on the terraces with friends and families, on the streets and elsewhere.

Due to the Holi Eve or to the rain (I wonder what has stronger impact) as twice as less people on the streets. As if someone just cancelled the very necessity to perform daily routines. I am watching out but there is no singe sign of any Holi catches so far. In the bus later on notices that some people keep their mobiles in small transparent plastic bags – smart tips! Armed with piles of spare clothes and a set of necessities left my house today - we’ll be hanging our elsewhere these days. Let’s play Holi!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home