India: scientific approach to a mystery

I am already at home in Russia, yet there is so much more to write about India. I'll continue posting here, so keep an eye on this blog. I set up my old-and-new blog about Russia HERE - you may also check out that one now and then. Also, slowly but surely I am uploading the pics from the travels on which I haven't posted yet at the upgraded (hurra!) Yahoo.

Name:
Location: Russia

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Why I decided to go to Orissa?

I picked up this not particularly conventional destination relying on my gut instincts rather than for any well-justified reason. I got inspired by the most amazing round-eyed wooden statues of Puri trinity (Lord Jagannat), first discovered by Olivier and MC and ever since coming on my way in one form or another – carved on wood or stone, made of brass, painted, woven – in the rooms of craft museums, palaces and state emporiums. Then I found colorfully painted wooden figures of animals from Orissa which I was generously gifting back home. And eventually I got to see Orissi classical dance with its fascinating concept, sophisticated choreography and the dancers looking like the carved statues on the walls of the ancient temples. Lord Jagannat, wooden animals and dance maybe a dubious momentum for traveling, yet it was more than enough to book my tickets without thinking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home