India: scientific approach to a mystery

I am already at home in Russia, yet there is so much more to write about India. I'll continue posting here, so keep an eye on this blog. I set up my old-and-new blog about Russia HERE - you may also check out that one now and then. Also, slowly but surely I am uploading the pics from the travels on which I haven't posted yet at the upgraded (hurra!) Yahoo.

Name:
Location: Russia

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Rakhi Day

Even an unaware and clueless outsider could have noticed the fuss going around these days. Namkeen and sweet shops make extensive outside stands decorated with draped curtains and ribbons. The stands offer an abundance of boxed chocolates, exclusive cookies and other types of packaged sweets. The rest of the shops, irrespective to their profile otherwise, also put outside stands where one finds an array of dominantly red colored threads with all sort of fancy nods, beeds, flowers and more. And people… people are virtually rushing those places.

The occasion for the arrangements appeared to be Raksha Bandhan, celebrated every year on 'Shravan Purnima' (Full Moon Day of the Hindu month of Shravan). On the holy day of Rakhi sisters tie a sacred piece of thread (Known as Rakhi or 'Raksha-Sutra') on the wrist of their brothers and they feed each other with sweets. Essentially, Rakhi is the day when brothers and sisters get an opportunity to express their tender love and feelings towards each other.

It really takes to be here in India where you get captivated by the excitement of the preparations for the holiday, masses of the rakhi and sweets stands, pudjas (prayers and offerings) performed at the tiny and huge temples …. to regret you do not have a family here and you cannot be a part of this important festival….. Who said so?

Last night I was arriving to Malvia Nagar and in fact had to go to the internet café. Yet.. once approaching the market swarming with people



the bus got stuck on the congested road and I jumped off in the realization I cannot miss this festive madness. I bought a few rakhies.. and then some more… and some more… keeping in mind all my male friends and even close female ones…. After a short hesitation I entered Moti, where people were fighting for sweets: in the bakery they removed the cash counter, totally changed the facing, and put packing to a separate counter so to streamline the process of selling sweets which people were getting in bulks these days.





The morning of Rakhi day was blessed by the pure light blue sky and sunshine. I put on my new kurta (good Hindu habit of getting new clothes for the occasions ;o), tied the bands and gave sweets to all my five flatmates (all girls) half of whom I had to brutally wake up for that. I left house to find the empty streets frozen in the anticipation, in this very special way so typical for the days of family festivals. On the way to work every now and then my auto got overtaken by motorbikes with women in glittering festive salwar suits and sarees sitting on the back. Obviously, heading to their brothers’ houses. And I impatiently anticipate seeing the boys tonight - rakhi, sweets and my sisterly love are made ready for them ;o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home