India: scientific approach to a mystery

I am already at home in Russia, yet there is so much more to write about India. I'll continue posting here, so keep an eye on this blog. I set up my old-and-new blog about Russia HERE - you may also check out that one now and then. Also, slowly but surely I am uploading the pics from the travels on which I haven't posted yet at the upgraded (hurra!) Yahoo.

Name:
Location: Russia

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Sleep-walker

All of a sudden I freeze. I haven not realized what happened first – the monotonous humming of the ceiling fan was gone or the room got soaked in the darkness. I have got annoyed by the unexpected developments, rather then scary and finish my laundry first. After all, you do not need to see clothes to wash it. Sense of touch worked well. Once done I am groping for my way to the kitchen. My palms are feeling the shelves for a matchbox. It takes some moments of irritation to find one and light a candle carefully kept at hand by those who wisely anticipated the circumstances. The look on the door insensitively trembles when I open it – as if it does not know everyone in the house is asleep. I walk down the winding stairs with caution: the least I want is to blow out the candle with the air streams created by my sharp motions. The candle highlights the walls with peeled off pieces of plaster here and there which I took for lizards the night before when I climbed the steps in the dark. I reach the ground floor and get closer to the central panel where all the electricity switches are located. I open our box just to find out the expected – once again it is off. I put it on. It just goes off whenever the electricity load is too heavy. Yet, how can it be heavy at times and not heavy otherwise?! Very rhetorical question. I’d better wonder how many more times I’ll have to repeat this sleep-walker's feat tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home