India: scientific approach to a mystery

I am already at home in Russia, yet there is so much more to write about India. I'll continue posting here, so keep an eye on this blog. I set up my old-and-new blog about Russia HERE - you may also check out that one now and then. Also, slowly but surely I am uploading the pics from the travels on which I haven't posted yet at the upgraded (hurra!) Yahoo.

Name:
Location: Russia

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Refreshing

A short shower on Friday was followed by a very pleasant night when I hardly needed a fan. Cool water running from the tap in the morning gave a hope and the noon temperature performed up to the expectations: I was sitting at the living room of my host family with both doors leading to the terrace open and enjoying the view of the green shady park. Open doors in noon is an unspeakable luxury at this time of the year, so even more pleasant it was to indulge this unexpected escapade of the weather.

After the hectic morning devoted to laundry and cleaning I was heading to my host family for lunch. On the way I experienced my first road accident. As appeared those happen all of a sudden with you knowing only post-factum. So more shocking the thought is… The auto I was in stopped at some crossing and I was tossed little forward as usually happens when auto-wallas break all of a sudden, which they often do. Yet, I realized that the matter was more serious this time: that I heard and actually felt the crash from behind. The auto-walla stopped, stepped out of the vehicle and went to examine the back … I looked back and saw a car right behind us… A minor, but crash...

The lunch at the host family was as usual yummi, yet unusually spicy. I have not been to my host family’s for about 2 months and in course of that time have managed to get unused to the level of spiciness so typical for South-Indian food. After the lunch was chatting with Nivanthee, which is always easy-going and insightful. She’s got this amazing gift of explaining things as they generally are, without overwhelming you with her personal stand, yet definitely taking one.

Fulfilled with food and conversations I headed to Lajpat trainee house where I found Markus and Kate both affected by the cleaning syndrome, so typical of Saturday morning. The guys basically decided to use the unique situation at the house: as Corina and Thomas have just left and Sarah has just arrived, the opportunity to carry out the major clearance of the house naturally came. Lajpat has a reputation of an open-door house, so stuff, guests and tenants virtually appear and disappear without hosts knowing. In the very spirit of AIESEC who proclaims “It’s up to you!” Markus and Kate thought that all it takes is effort of some. So, these two spend the morning trashing everything that did not fit the suitcases of all those left and that was generously donated to the house. The effort made the place unrecognizably clean and spacious. We were sitting with the guys, and sipping creamy chai and I felt so grandmotherish when sharing my memories on how this house was when I moved in.

The whole afternoon was spent in an intense discussion between me and Kate preparing a presentation for a workshop on gender issues for AIESEC LC on Monday. In the evening when Roel and Sarah got back from work a consensus on going out emerged. Spontaneous is good, thought we. Yet, for me the dressing up part remained the most exciting of it. Me with the stuff all borrowed from Kate, Sarah and store-rooms of Lajpat – was captivated by the curiosity of a small girl delving into her mother’s closet. Hyatt Regent Hotel where we got later depressed us in many ways. Guys got upset with the top-heavy prices on beer. Girls were not pleased with the abundance of old Western men and young Indian ones with searching looks. Yet, I have to say that both Sarahs, Kate and Roel are the people which you can hand in to for a good spirit –fun was there. However, the place got shut down at 12-30 and the house party at Lajpat, initially suggested, appeared the viable option for the night to go on. I did not join … and as a revenge they went to see the sunrise at India gate without me second time. My revenge was the morning I had next day and they did not ;o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home