India: scientific approach to a mystery

I am already at home in Russia, yet there is so much more to write about India. I'll continue posting here, so keep an eye on this blog. I set up my old-and-new blog about Russia HERE - you may also check out that one now and then. Also, slowly but surely I am uploading the pics from the travels on which I haven't posted yet at the upgraded (hurra!) Yahoo.

Name:
Location: Russia

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Meeting women

The other day when I was getting a next batch of admonitions regarding hanging out with bad guys from my friend Tenzin, a Buddhist monk. I replied laughing, “I just realized that your words had an impact: there are not only no bad guys around, there are none! Who would take care of me then?”

I am recalling my first months in India when I was blossoming in the loads of attention, my wishes anticipated and fulfilled in the form of coffee-sallies, night rides, crazy outings, ice-creams and dinners, and more… Yet, soon you realize the intentions of all those nice people go way further than those of friends. If one is to learn to say “No” India is the right country to practice. Being a nice girl, yet saying “No” to anything that does not make you feel comfortable is hard, but achievable.

Last night this and many other insights were shared over a cosy dinner at Lajpat. Markus and Roel were the only guys in the 11-people crowd and we, girls, just went on and on sharing our experience with Indian guys. I realized that being in a community of mature and self-confident women can be as rewarding as receiving fluttering attention from men. It is all about the balance.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the last couple of lines on this one :) You are such a smart girl Olga.. Not that I ever doubted it!

8:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home