India: scientific approach to a mystery

I am already at home in Russia, yet there is so much more to write about India. I'll continue posting here, so keep an eye on this blog. I set up my old-and-new blog about Russia HERE - you may also check out that one now and then. Also, slowly but surely I am uploading the pics from the travels on which I haven't posted yet at the upgraded (hurra!) Yahoo.

Name:
Location: Russia

Monday, June 26, 2006

Weekends are made for shopping

I love shopping. I derive my happiness through ay sort of it: window-shopping, shopping for presents, shopping with friends, shopping alone, last minute shopping, grocery shopping, clothes shopping, shopping when I do not need anything and shopping for highly-wanted items. Every shopping sally is a small-scale expedition to an unknown land with an unpredictable outcome. A challenge to your imagination, a chance to try out new roles. Simply a good way to spend your time – alone or with your friends. Here in India one more exciting dimension adds to the excitement of shopping – bargaining.

I felt sort of appreciated in my shopping passion when Roe asked me to join him for the presents shopping. This lucky one got a chance to combine use and pleasure, as we say in Russia: he is going on a business trip to Holland and would get some time to spend with his family. Therefore, a strong need for presents.

State Emporiums at CP and Janpath were as touritic as good. A huge rose-tree elephant was the major proud of Roel, yet my heart melted in front of funky colourful wooden statues from Orissa. Yet, it is so good to get stuff from local markets and shops that tourists would never bother to check out: so beloved Lajpat Nagar Market was the last destination of the day. Efficiency of Roel and him knowing what he wants coupled with my knowledge of the places and energy to meet clearly set shopping targets were extremely fruitful. 9-15 pm, market is getting closed; we are in a velo-rickshaw where we can hardly fit dozens of the bags full of goodies, driving home.

Demonstrating the purchases to the inhabitants of Lajpat Nagar trainee-house, having dinner and some drinks, watching DaVinci Code on DVD. It is interesting how my visits to Lajpat Nagar have become so ritualised and full of those little always-rewarding routines. Following one of those, next morning I got up and headed outside to get some fruits from the vendors who roam around the area at that hour. I really like Lajpat for this casual morning shopping you can do at once. Breakfast gets ready, people get awake and six of us are sharing a Sunday morning meal at the big table in the leaving room. The girls decided for shopping inspired by our last night experience and so we go to Sabhyata where we spend some hours selecting kurtas and picking up matching salwars and dupattas. Way home was not short either as we made it through the stalls of junk jewellery that one can hardly pass cool-heated. Once at home Roel is presenting his newly purchased business outfit, girls are trying the salwar suits they just bought…Shopping insanity is getting viral… me and Kate discussing how to put an end to this pleasant, yet very devastating for the pocket hobby of getting things… Sighing, complaining about the weak-will and greediness – and trying clothes, and discussing matches and getting inspired for more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home