India: scientific approach to a mystery

I am already at home in Russia, yet there is so much more to write about India. I'll continue posting here, so keep an eye on this blog. I set up my old-and-new blog about Russia HERE - you may also check out that one now and then. Also, slowly but surely I am uploading the pics from the travels on which I haven't posted yet at the upgraded (hurra!) Yahoo.

Name:
Location: Russia

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Long-awaited monsoon comes!

The weekend started in the anticipation of 50 C heat assured by the weather forecast. What proved true is that we sweated a lot. Not because of the heat, though. On Saturday the reddened pancake of the sun was licked off by sudden blasts. The relief was immediate, yet short-lived. The heat disseminated by the stolen sun was soon replaced by the humidity of the seemingly synthetic air. Sweating has become a part of being: you do not even need to move around or be exposed to the heat to start sweating – you just do irrespective.

Two sweaty days betokened the monsoon. The insights on what it takes to go through one started coming. Dry and frizzy hear, skin ever glittering with sweat – very sexy, yet so unpractical… Make up hardly makes any sense and dressing up is ruled out as an option.
Just last night I made this comment that monsoon is a perfect excuse to give up about your look ;o) And already today I had an opportunity to prove it.

I was waken up in the morning by the call from Janet. A glance at the watch brought it up as clear as a noon: overslept. Looking outside the window gave a certain clue on why. It was all dull grey as opposed to bright yellow as usual and it was raining cuts and dogs. Without thinking twice I put on my waterproof jacket, crappy pants, flip-flops, took a change and headed into the rain. In fact, the rain was not that heavy once I got outside, yet falling drops appeared to be juts a part (a very insignificant one) of the hurdle. The real trouble was caused by all those drops that had already fallen and now formed small lakes and rivers on the streets. The 5 minutes walk from my house to the market resulted in my pants being all soaking wet. Flip-flops are not the best shoes for river crossing really: with their help you virtually draw water and poor it on yourself. Yet, I was really happy to baptize my waterproof jacket here in India: once it is not that hot it’s a way more viable option than an umbrella.

The bus ride was fun - changing three busses, observing how people manage in different ways, breathing in all the freshness of the after-rain air, driving through the highways full of water and laughing at the splashes made by bus and sufficient to give a good shower to the careless pedestrians. Yet, I was so relived to reach office, change and indulge a cup of hot milk tea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home