India: scientific approach to a mystery

I am already at home in Russia, yet there is so much more to write about India. I'll continue posting here, so keep an eye on this blog. I set up my old-and-new blog about Russia HERE - you may also check out that one now and then. Also, slowly but surely I am uploading the pics from the travels on which I haven't posted yet at the upgraded (hurra!) Yahoo.

Name:
Location: Russia

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Water

Last night Ioana solemnly announced that our water pump had got fixed and from now on we do not need to steal overflowing water from the neighbours’ tank. I commented that 6 moths of precarious water supply were enough for me to start considering 3 litters of water for a complete shower and opportunity to flash the toilet a luxurious state of affairs. Just this Sunday I spend an hour fetching water from the neighbours’ tank to do the laundry amassed for 1 month. I never thought the sense of accomplishment can be so primitively grounded.

Utpal tells me I am destined to stay in India and his arguments are difficult to oppose: I look good in saree, I am tough enough to go by bus, I am good in bargaining auto-wallas, I like the food, I’ve got a good profile for a good job, and there are quite a few Indian men who I can choose my husband from. Well… reasonable… But putting aside clothes, food and an Indian husband – if I’ve learnt to survive at margins without virtually any water – I can do anything!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home