India: scientific approach to a mystery

I am already at home in Russia, yet there is so much more to write about India. I'll continue posting here, so keep an eye on this blog. I set up my old-and-new blog about Russia HERE - you may also check out that one now and then. Also, slowly but surely I am uploading the pics from the travels on which I haven't posted yet at the upgraded (hurra!) Yahoo.

Name:
Location: Russia

Monday, January 30, 2006

the new week kicked off…

I’ve got an outer pocket on my backpack. As far as I actually wear my backpack on the chest (yes, I look like a frustrated tourist, but I do not really care) I am using this pocket to carry small things for make-up etc. Occasionally I put my mobile there. Also, I put my purse there in the morning so that I can easily find it to pay my bus and then put it in a safer place inside the backpack right after.
Ok… I use such a sporty wristlet as a pocket for my mobile – it’s soft and fits nicely. So, my mobile in this wrist-lit is in the outer pocket of my backpack.

I get in over-crowded bus and search for my purse in the other pocket. I get it, get the money, pay, put the purse inside the backpack and close the outer pocket. The situation of being squeezed among all those people who you do not really know what to expect from is very stressful. Some seconds passed… and - you know that gut feeling that comes once in a while? – I glance at my outer pocket – it’s half open. I am yet quite, but panicking inside – I start feeling the pocket… yes.. right… the wristlet is there. the mobile is not… Seconds of hesitations, some more seconds of touching the pocket again…. I think I am getting now why people become numb in cases like that – in the first some seconds you cannot believe it is happening to you. You’ve been so careful, smart, good, nice etc. It could never happened to you. How come it happened? I quickly interrupt this thinking process that runs a risk to go too far. I raise my eyes on a man next to me and ask where my mobile is. No response. With a firm and loud voice I say, “Someone opened my pocket and took my mobile. I need it back”. Some excitement rises in the bus, they all start talking – Hindi, obviously. Attention is there. I am quite positive about the outcome. Some seconds and nothing happens. I repeat what I’ve said and add I’d call police. Some more fuss around - what I got they try to tell I myself dropped my phone. All the eyes are fixed on the floor and… what a miracle… my phone appears near foot of some men 0,5 meters away from me… I am getting it with a sense of relief, yet frustrated with the notion that something I never expected happened. The rest of the trip on the bus is just like stress that does not passes by.

Come to work. It’s a bit early so I am the first one in the office - as often. Open my email box - quite a few messages from my dear people. Those who remembers me, thinks of me, wonders how I am, takes time to check out my blog… Such a remedy. Such a remedy after breathtaking bus incident.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home