India: scientific approach to a mystery

I am already at home in Russia, yet there is so much more to write about India. I'll continue posting here, so keep an eye on this blog. I set up my old-and-new blog about Russia HERE - you may also check out that one now and then. Also, slowly but surely I am uploading the pics from the travels on which I haven't posted yet at the upgraded (hurra!) Yahoo.

Name:
Location: Russia

Sunday, January 22, 2006

More sightseeing in Delhi: Qutb Minar

Info: Qutb Minar. Delhi’s oldest monument signifies triumph of Islam.





In as early as 1199 work began on what was indented to be the most glorious tower of victory in the world and was to be the prototype of all minars (towers) in India. With this tower Qutb-ud-din-Aibak marked the eastern limit of the empire of One God (Allah). Its western counterpart is built by Yusuf in Sevillie. The tower is 73 m high and has 5 storyes. The diameter of the base is 14.4 m and 2.7 at the top. 379 steps inside are closed to the public following some fatal incidents. Not at least the minar is located in a beautiful garden (park) with some other archeological sights in it.

Sources:
India. Footprints. 2005.
Fodor’s Exploring India. 2001.
















well… and not only archeological sights…



Well, our pilgrimage realized in taking pictures of the tower and of each other in front of it. The latter appeared to be quite a task, so we tried out best and did well, I guess.








In the meanwhile this monument is popular not only with Russian and Columbian tourists such a us, but not at least with Indian families, young people and pupils etc.





Taking shots of kids was a great bonus for our tour. First, they just appeared suspicious, gave me distrustful looks and kept quite aside. I took some shots.



They just watched me doing that. I kept shooting them one after another and then a small girl came.



I took a photo of her and it was a signal. A huge crowd darted off, making clouds of dust, pushing each other - they all wanted to be on a photo. I just had to shoot as much as I could to make sure I get something out of this constantly changing situation. I would step back to have them all on the picture, but then they would make step forward to make sure they all are there.



They would re-arrange, push each other, approach me from another side – just to be on the pictures they would not ever see.



Sinthya comes and now we both put up a defence. The situation is saved by a care-taker from their school or kinder-garden who comes in. Generously giving out cuffs on the napes and boxes on the ears she gathers kids and get them home. We are left with a great catch today – most sincere and true faces.

1 Comments:

Blogger Aadya e-Travel said...

This is really attractive to read its extremely good post ! expect you will post many more!Delhi Sightseeing Spots

2:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home