India: scientific approach to a mystery

I am already at home in Russia, yet there is so much more to write about India. I'll continue posting here, so keep an eye on this blog. I set up my old-and-new blog about Russia HERE - you may also check out that one now and then. Also, slowly but surely I am uploading the pics from the travels on which I haven't posted yet at the upgraded (hurra!) Yahoo.

Name:
Location: Russia

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Life goes on

came home. Inspired by a host of Indian recopied cooked some food... just to figure out I am not hungry and basically fancy papaya. The latter was obtained without effort. Full and peaceful after that I opened my laptop just to hear Synthia giving me 10 reasons why I should join her and Kanak for TC. Five more minutes and I already wear jeans and tank top (or, no, bare upper arms, how can anyone do that?!) – this is the first time I dress normally in India. Feel uncomfortable, oh where is my kurta? Stop it, ha! Three more minutes and Christian and Ralf both get inspired by the idea... We jump in Kanak’s car and drive to the place with some Indian music on the way :o)

Ok, we go to TC – some pub (reminds me of Scotsman in Bergen and or course Scruffy). We enter and I immediately start struggling for breath – so smoky it was that I cannot tell really. The same music as the last time – and they say, it is the always the same. Whenever bored I took pictures and therefore seriously pissed off some people – we’ll see what they say when we gonna watch the result of my photographic work tonight.

Strangely enough, felt as if all that could happen anywhere, but India. I am getting so used to the street India with outstanding poverty and stares that anything but that amazes me even more than poverty or stares. Seriously, the pub was so western, the music was so not-Bollywood, the people were so well-dressed (mostly western style) – this young middle and upper class crowd. How can one country be so... heterogeneous... They say here, there is no single India meaning the regional differences. In fact, before British came there were no India as a single entity – this territory used to comprise a number of independent kingdoms. And even now, when they all became one country, the regional variations with it comes to food, culture, language definitely persist. But.. this saying regarding “no single India”.. it is not only about regional differences, but also about this discrepancy between the street India and the India of offices, clubs. etc...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home