India: scientific approach to a mystery

I am already at home in Russia, yet there is so much more to write about India. I'll continue posting here, so keep an eye on this blog. I set up my old-and-new blog about Russia HERE - you may also check out that one now and then. Also, slowly but surely I am uploading the pics from the travels on which I haven't posted yet at the upgraded (hurra!) Yahoo.

Name:
Location: Russia

Monday, January 09, 2006

First sightseeing

….just an organized array of impressions….

I walk along some avenues at what I mostly see is different kind of fences – massive brick ones with very beautiful forged gates. So, everything is fenced to make sure every one knows his/her place – behind the gates or in front or maybe under…









Palm trees and many more trees that I could not even tell the names of – in fact, I see all this tropical vegetation for the first time.



India gate - the arch constructed to commemorate Indian soldiers killed in the First World War. Massive and boring monument, I am sorry. Much nice open cupola in front.



Area around is a place for family entertainment – people walk, have picnic, eat ice-cream. Nearby there is very spacious area fenced with dried bamboo stems - younger people play crocket (some say, it’s the only kind of sports in the country ;o)



Along the Janpath there is a number of lanes with small markets and some bigger ones in them. Many kind of Indian crafts (not expensive Kashmere shawls, though) could be found along. Overprices like in every tourist place, but I could not resist bargaining for a marvellous pair of ear-rings ;o)











Got to the Connaught place – three ring road inside each other – essentially, shopping area with adidas flagship store and stalls with some cheap small things in the same neighbourhood. Seems that everything in this city is more or less about shopping.. and selling… commerce.







I reach New Delhi Central Railway station and the market nearby. Here I find the ultimate chaos – crossing (almost crashing) flows of busses, cars, rickshaws and motorcyclists. People in between all this. Me not really sure about the direction and all those mam, mam around… First time in Delhi I really feel unsafe and rush to leave it asap.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home