India: scientific approach to a mystery

I am already at home in Russia, yet there is so much more to write about India. I'll continue posting here, so keep an eye on this blog. I set up my old-and-new blog about Russia HERE - you may also check out that one now and then. Also, slowly but surely I am uploading the pics from the travels on which I haven't posted yet at the upgraded (hurra!) Yahoo.

Name:
Location: Russia

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Indian wedding: Pradana

woke up early for Pradana function. The latter is a set of the rituals when groom side brings presents (such as saree, golden bangles etc) for the bride and the bride greets them back.









The rituals are carried out on the stage



with some guests involved, some just watching, some roaming around. Some work on the guest hall is still in progress.


Nivanthee, two Neelima’s cousin sisters and me mainly watch.





It’s amazing that I could get access to the major ceremonies and therefore - the first-hand experience of those. We four would be called up every time when something would be going on and we’d get a chance to be at the very spot and watch it from the immediate proximity or even participate. In Pradana I also came up to the bride to put a bit of turmeric rice over her head, put some kumkum on her forehead, got kumkum bindi myself



and I was given a present - a cute bag with a piece of textile to make a saree blouse, two tiny bananas and small packages with paints.

Hindu priest was chanting mantras and some procedures were carried out with turmeric, kumkum, rice, coconuts, bananas, leaves involved as auspicious attributes. It’s somewhat interesting to think that what the area is rich in comprises the major elements for the religious ceremonies.

I got amazingly hungry by the lunch time and was really indulging food (despite my watering eyes: not because of the food, but as often on travel my eyes got irritated). I was taking food with my hands (time spent with South Indian family makes itself seen) and people around kept asking Nivanthee (she says, it’s kind of “caretaker should be consulted first” attitude) if I was comfortable with the food and how Iwas liking it. I asked her why would it be such a big deal for the people. And then Nivi tells me that actually Andhra food is considered to be the hottest in the whole India (great to know after 2 days here!) and that a foreigner eating it is really something special. At least I am getting a credit for my watering eyes.

Getting home, having some sleep – so nice to be lazy and when choosing between eating, sleeping, dressing up and socializing you can put ticks on all 4 activities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home