India: scientific approach to a mystery

I am already at home in Russia, yet there is so much more to write about India. I'll continue posting here, so keep an eye on this blog. I set up my old-and-new blog about Russia HERE - you may also check out that one now and then. Also, slowly but surely I am uploading the pics from the travels on which I haven't posted yet at the upgraded (hurra!) Yahoo.

Name:
Location: Russia

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Moved in the trainee house…

eee..mmm.. mixed feelings, shall I say? They say in AISEC it is very basic standard. Well… I really do not know what the standard is, but in my opinion, one should not use such wording to describe our accommodation. We’ve got a huge living room (place to hang out and receive short-term guests), amazing balcony to chill out and enjoy breakfast on weekend.



Two bathrooms with one of them being OK. Tree sleeping rooms. Kitchen is really awful… But all in marble. .There is a maid who comes to clean the house, do the dishes etc… therefore, taking care of the kitchen is considered excessive at this apartment. The same goes for bathroom. I think I am buying ribbon gloves and Domestos. Mousses, cockroaches are not unusual friends here.

I am really happy to speak to Tanya, a girl from Belgium who’s been here for 11 months and leaving now. She’s very comfortable with getting around the house etc. This gives me a hope that I’d also manage somehow.

The team is: Luca (Swizerland),Christian and Ralf (Germany), Michal
(Poland), Sinthya (Colombia). Great bunch!

And just more about standard. Later on this day when we went out. 11 of us managed to fit into 3 auto-rikshaws. The guy (western) sitting next to me moved in a way that made me feel he is very uncomfortable. I asked if he is ok. The guy got pissed, “Are you comfortable?”… “Mmm..well.. Providing the situation I am reasonably comfortable... I just change my standard of comfort here ”… A girl said, “Yes, your standard is really dropping here”. “Not dropping, just changing”, I replied. What I mean is that to me it is absolutely unthinkable to compare this live with anything I had before. Because nothing like that was possible in those settings. People just do not live that way in Norway. Maybe more in Russia, but still…

I would get depressed if in Norway or Russia I had to

· brush my teeth almost without water.
· feel the ultimate divine if there is paper in the toilet, otherwise the way out is known.
· use a pari of ear-plug to cope with the not-coincinding bio-rythms of my 5 neibours and some more guests. And hope that they all are having their pair.
· have meals and discussions with the guys around the mess of my cloths and underwear hanging on a rope nearby
·
But here it all seems natural and not difficult to cope with HERE. We’ll see what I say in a month, or maybe in two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home