India: scientific approach to a mystery

I am already at home in Russia, yet there is so much more to write about India. I'll continue posting here, so keep an eye on this blog. I set up my old-and-new blog about Russia HERE - you may also check out that one now and then. Also, slowly but surely I am uploading the pics from the travels on which I haven't posted yet at the upgraded (hurra!) Yahoo.

Name:
Location: Russia

Friday, January 06, 2006

Trial tour to my office and introduction with the colleagues.

Jasmer and Meghna (again, two girls from AIESEC) brought me to Centre for Social Research (www.csrindia.org), my workplace. It is an NGO that deals with female empowerment. Apart from research it does training, capacity building and development projects. I've been so excited to join this organization.

The office is very cozy and up to the western standards for those who wonder. The majority of the employees are women. Strangely enough, the secretary is man, so as the person who brings us tea and sweets etc. I got to speak to the heads of some departments and to another trainee Sinthya from Columbia. Otherwise I am on my own – given access to the intranet to figure out stuff. Came across with the two reports written by the previous trainees. “Proactive and prepared – this is how trainee should come to CSR”. Got some major insights of the true meaning of the phrase.

Wanted to get to speak with the director, but saw her only at lunch after which she left. When asked someone I got told I am given a week to learn about the organization (= hei, relax, no effort is needed so far). As restless as I am I’ve got some other plans. I mean, it’s good to learn how to fill in your time when there is no pressure at work. But it is a way better to learn how to fill it in with something meaningful. So, we’ll see how my enthusiasm combine with Indian working culture. Therefore, I am waiting for the director to get back so that I’d be more settled with the traineeship details asap. My Russian uncertainty avoidance really does not let me sleep well unless I know stuff ;o)

My mobile has started working. In 48 instead of promissed24 hours after I paid the subscription. “In India you have to be prepared for waiting”, - they write in guide-books. Truly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home