India: scientific approach to a mystery

I am already at home in Russia, yet there is so much more to write about India. I'll continue posting here, so keep an eye on this blog. I set up my old-and-new blog about Russia HERE - you may also check out that one now and then. Also, slowly but surely I am uploading the pics from the travels on which I haven't posted yet at the upgraded (hurra!) Yahoo.

Name:
Location: Russia

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

About big cities: inspired by Kolkata

I am fascinated and invariably attracted by big cities. Every time I find myself in one I feel like embracing it all… not physically, but rather metaphorically – soak as much of its spirit as I can… And it never seems enough as the spirit often appears immense. People rushing each for his or her own matter; cars, buses, trucks and other vehicles competing for a place on the lane; lit up shops, noisy markets… vibrant life… lived by many in many ways, yet all happening according to some common logic… This is how I felt in Kolkata… the same feeling overtakes me every time I am in Moscow… Even Oslo after a cozy little Bergen looked that way… Strangely… Delhi I see differently though: in the described sense it is not a big city for me. I know its ins and outs and many of them store certain memories related to the people or moments… As this guy Pablo who lives in Barcelona himself said (I wonder if he himself remembers he did), “We make big cities smaller” as we delimit our habitat by the places we tend to hang out, work or live in…. that way I would always remain fascinated and invariably attracted by big yet-unexplored cities….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home