India: scientific approach to a mystery

I am already at home in Russia, yet there is so much more to write about India. I'll continue posting here, so keep an eye on this blog. I set up my old-and-new blog about Russia HERE - you may also check out that one now and then. Also, slowly but surely I am uploading the pics from the travels on which I haven't posted yet at the upgraded (hurra!) Yahoo.

Name:
Location: Russia

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Leaving Sikkim

We made it back on time – the guy kept his word. I found a jeep ready to head off for Gangtok with only a back seat free. I tried to play a capricious madam and announced I would get sick if I take the back seat. The driver promised I would be there alone, so I can be comfortable. I generously agreed somewhat knowing that, as any other promises people give her, it was just an instant way to calm you down. Indeed, on the way we picked up some more people. Yet, the driver, a Tibetan man, was a sweetheart to me: he shared a clementine with me at one of the stops where among the rest he had his vegetable shopping done, and at the next stop he treated me to a sweet roll. After all, I was very ashamed of my behavior.

I got to share the journey with a Punjabi man residing in Silliguri who was very talkative and with good English, so after he got to know I had been in India for some time, he stopped his lecturing about the country and we had a meaningful discussion when I had a chance to present my views. Precious experiences with sojourners that I treasure: when I am not just an exotic creature who, wow, takes Indian food (is it not spicy for you?) and looks decent in salwar-kameez, but primary a human being. The other sojourners were a Bengali family- parents and a young couple – that was entertaining me with the yet more peculiarities of a joint family. In particular, it was amusing to watch them bargaining for clemetines, ending with a dozen each and then discussing the price for the same in Kolkata, respective price differential and more…

Needless to say, before-the-sunset views were eventually stunning and one more time I had a chance to appreciate the magnificent beauty of Sikkim…

Once at NJP I walked in to a joint, one of the of numerous eateries lined up vis-à-vis the railway station: I was desperate for some chavel and subzi. I enquired about the menu and the chap there announced he was a menu himself. I asked for chavel and subzi, enjoyed my food, and then paid 20 instead of persistently asked 30: all three totally astonished men at the dhaba took turns in shaking my hands. Tata, guys.

1 Comments:

Blogger lehengacholi said...

this is great post. thanks for your valuable info sharing here. i like this website and a nice picture . Salwar kameez

2:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home