India: scientific approach to a mystery

I am already at home in Russia, yet there is so much more to write about India. I'll continue posting here, so keep an eye on this blog. I set up my old-and-new blog about Russia HERE - you may also check out that one now and then. Also, slowly but surely I am uploading the pics from the travels on which I haven't posted yet at the upgraded (hurra!) Yahoo.

Name:
Location: Russia

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Cinderella night

It was thanks to the Amit's invitation to a fashion show, that night got filled with fascinating happening. I could not inspire anyone to keep a company, so I had to go on my own. On the first place, I totally grab any opportunity to see what my friends are doing, what constitutes their jobs, lives, expertise and aspirations. By doing so you can better understand the people you know and show your appreciation to them, which immensely contributes to the relationship. So I was happy to see Amit modeling in a show. Secondly, I am always trilled to attend an event of a new-to-me format and being on my own just reinforces my receptiveness, let me be more open to meeting new people and catching new ideas.

Fashion show at a 5* hotel is a certain occasion for dressing up which I indulged. The time when I had to dress up for a party at least once a week is left behind in Norway. So these days, when I mostly resort to shabby traditional or hiding-the-curves Western, dressing up is a luxurious opportunity for me. The fact that walking to the market where I could get an auto was seriously hampered by calls and whistles and that auto-walas initially overquoted price to the hotel by three times showed that I looked just right for the occasion.

The tranquil ambience of the reception lounge soaked in the semi-darkness was as relaxing as teasing for all your senses. People, first very few, were arriving and filling in the room with the smells of their perfumes, sparkles of their dresses, shine of their hair, sweetness of their greeting kisses and hugs. Gastronomic delights were served to keep people busy before the show started. I tasted the canapé with salmon, the most tender paneer ever, melting-on-your-tongue pork, very folk yet elegantly served little momos and the Italian ice-cream which appeared rather expensive than good. Whisky and vodka mixed with anything in any proportion were starting off the merry evening.

Almost before the show started, I spotted a group of guys, also AIESECers, whom I knew – yet, instead of usual 3 they were 4…and that fact determined the dynamics of my evening. The eyes that chill you down and sarcastic jokes that tease you on (I am really getting used to such jokes as a way of communication after having been lived with all these nice people from this amazing region), interest in you and in everyone around, confidence and sense of direction, agency and initiative… It took the first few seconds to realize I was in trouble, but the realization came too late: already then the process had become irreversible…

We saw the collection which appeared to be both male and female traditional ware, discussing the models rather than the clothes. Couple of drink and new friends did not divert us from the initial plan which was TC.

However hard it was to get in with one girl and six guys (I enjoyed the sex-ratio for one time sake, but for the couple entry places it is a huge inconvenience), we made it. I pitied that Roel and Kate could not come, but seeing Kanak after five long moths felt great. It was him that night who made TC look like in those old times when I first started going out there, it was him guarding me from a continuously trying Indian guy (something Western buddies would never pick up, I guess), it was just him and I was happy he was. As an absolute surprise, Daniela and Karan were also there: we could get enough of hugs with the girl who was traveling all this time and just arrived back to Delhi and the guy is just so much fun to see each time. Then, my new flat-mate also made it to TC and I took initiative to introduce everyone to everyone - kind of be at the origin of the relationships the development of which you would not get to witness. So, the fun of the night was shared by the whole marry bunch.

... I love these Cinderella nights when you prepare for a ball and end up with a thrill in your heart, happy and stupid thoughts in your head and anticipation of the next time you will get to see the eyes and hear the jokes. Tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home